Roblox is hiring a
Principal Backend Software Engineer - Account Authentication
Every day, tens of millions of people come to Roblox to explore, create, play, learn, and connect with friends in 3D immersive digital experiences– all created by our global community of developers and creators.
At Roblox, we’re building the tools and platform that empower our community to bring any experience that they can imagine to life. Our vision is to reimagine the way people come together, from anywhere in the world, and on any device. We’re on a mission to connect a billion people with optimism and civility, and looking for amazing talent to help us get there.
A career at Roblox means you’ll be working to shape the future of human interaction, solving unique technical challenges at scale, and helping to create safer, more civil shared experiences for everyone.
At Roblox, we strive to connect a billion people with optimism and civility, and the Safety organization's mission is to become the leader in civil immersive online communities. We systematically detect, remove, and prevent problematic content and behavior, and we make Roblox accounts secure and free from compromise. We cover a broad area of the tech spectrum, including machine learning, classifiers for 3D models, experimentation, automation, detection workflows, and AI-powered text filters. Aligned and partnering with product teams, we use this toolbelt to discover new opportunities, influence and shape the product roadmap and prioritization, build safety products, and measure the impact on our community of users and developers. In doing so, we keep Roblox safe, civil, and inclusive, and we foster positive relationships between people around the world.
WHY ACCOUNT AUTHENTICATION:
Safety and Civility is Roblox’s #1 priority and our mission is to protect our community. You will provide technical leadership to 4-6 engineers working cross organizationally on the design, implementation and maintenance of services critical to Roblox user sign-up, sign-in, token authentication, and logout. We work at large scale maintaining and extending critical infrastructure supporting 3M+ (and growing) qps.
Key challenges include:
Large-scale: 3M+ qps and growing, we are targeting managing authentication for 1B+ users for the near to immediate future.
The work is deep: Roblox users skew young, they are vulnerable, security is paramount. Our task is to make authentication at Roblox child safe.
We are problem oriented: we are using several tools to solve our problems, including Cryptography and ML.
As an Account Auth team, we act as the gateway to the metaverse. When we do our job well, Roblox users will have a seamless experience regardless of whether they are using a PC, Android phone, or iOS tablet. Upon joining Roblox, you will report to the Senior Manager of the Account Authentication team and will be based in our San Mateo HQ in a hybrid working model. #LI-Hybrid
- Chart the future direction of our backend efforts. We are presently considering the future direction of our backend infrastructure. We want to move away from C#. We want to migrate to a new persistence layers. New models of piping data through our systems. As the lead of our team's backend reliability and scalability efforts, we would look to you to provide structure and rigor to those conversations.
- Oversee the creation, monitoring and communication of our team's production SLO's.
- Build critical infrastructure and features to ensure that user authentication is seamless, secure, and reliable.
- Work cross organizationally. We collaborate with teams and roles throughout Roblox and get a big picture view of how Roblox works.
- Learn new skills. We are using ML and Cryptography to make account authentication better.
- 8+ years of experience in software development.
- 5+ years of experience working on Account Authentication features and protocols.
- Led technical efforts landing and maintaining large-scale, high availability systems.
- Worked cross organizationally to land a project.
- Familiarity with C#. Go, or Rust.
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Applied Math, Physics, Engineering, Statistics, or other technical fields is ideal.
- Previous experience with: GRPC, Protobuf, React, CockroachDb, Kafka, Nomad, Consul, and Vault.
- Team Oriented: You lift up your peers and find ways to make the team stronger.
- Proactive: You can speak in detail about problems that you identified and solutions that you drove to launch.
- Conscientious: You make sure that all the little things get done before you push code to production. You don't consider a project done if it doesn't have tests, dashboards, playbooks, communications to partner teams, and alerts.
- Passionate about preserving user trust and safety.
- Industry-leading compensation package
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- A rewarding 401k program
- Flexible vacation policy
- Roflex - Flexible and supportive work policy
- Roblox Admin badge for your avatar
- At Roblox HQ:
- Free catered lunches five times a week and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks
- Onsite fitness center and fitness program credit
- Annual CalTrain Go Pass
Roblox provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Please mention that you found the job on ARVR OK. Thanks.