Magic Leap is hiring a
Principal, NPI Engineer
If you want to be part of a united team where everyone is empowered and trusted to make an impact, then Magic Leap could be the place for you. At Magic Leap you will have the freedom to explore innovative solutions and use your talents to solve real world problems. Working alongside industry experts, here you can grow your skills and play a part in amplifying human potential at the intersection of the physical and digital worlds. We know that successful change and progress are accelerated by diverse perspectives. As we shape our future, everyone's voice matters. Together, we can reimagine the world of work and, with our bold partners, make the impossible, possible.
The goal of this role is to establish tools and processes necessary to deliver cutting edge technologies within Augmented Reality. Success is defined by your ability to build trust across the engineering community, while pushing the boundaries of capability with our partners within supply chain and manufacturing. The Senior Principal Technologist will be responsible for identifying critical requirements, understanding system sensitivities, developing execution strategies and mapping out key performance metrics necessary to achieve product goals. This role will report into the New Product Introduction (NPI) team and will act as a strategic partner across NPI engineering, research, product design, supply chain, product management, and manufacturing teams to tackle some of our biggest technical challenges. This is a highly visible cross-functional role transitioning new products from concept phase to production, while focusing on critical product differentiation and fiscal responsibility.
Candidates must be highly innovative and enjoy working in a dynamic and creative environment. Engaged in all critical aspects of new product development: Concept, Business case development, Industrial Design, Detailed Design, EVT, DVT, PVT, Ramp and delivery.
- Collaborate across multiple internal teams on definition and support of development activities, prototyping, manufacturing strategies/solutions for a diverse portfolio of technologies.
- Partner with Product Design and Optical Engineering teams to map out technology roadmaps and critical critical milestone exit criteria from early design ideation through manufacturing ramp.
- Drive risk assessment, tradeoff analysis, design/process experimentation, manufacturing strategies, and mitigation solutions to enable product and delivery requirements.
- Establish a systematic approach to design feedback and assessment by leveraging production data, benchmarking, design tradeoff studies, and systems performance analyses.
- Participate in architecture and design reviews to ensure hardware meets quality, cost, and manufacturability goals.
- Partner with internal and external manufacturing technology partners in the design, creation, and qualification of assembly and characterization equipment and advanced manufacturing processes, inclusive of capabilities and processes for product enablement, measurable design/process verification methodologies, and pathway for mass production solutions
- Establish technology readiness and manufacturing transition requirements , identify solutions to meet Demand and Supply Requirements, and milestones to achieve best in class manufacturing processes and high quality/yield deliveries
- Partner cross functionally with Engineering, Sourcing, Demand and Supply Planning, Quality, and Integration Centers to launch projects on time, on cost targets and meeting quality specifications.
- Deliver and Optimize solutions to solve complex challenges and drive issues to closure as product transitions from NPI through high volume scale.
- Partner with NPI leadership to establish and refine formal end-to-end product readiness, execution processes, and milestone exit criteria.
- Evaluate prospective vendors (CM, Integrators, Component Supply Chain) for process and quality capability based on project needs.
- Develop and codify Magic Leap’s Technology Roadmap and Design for Manufacturability process and requirements.
- 15+ years of industry experience in consumer electronics, optomechanical, compact or optical systems is preferred.
- Demonstrated delivery of precision, automated factory equipment and processes to support high volume manufacturing, inclusive of knowledge of optical assembly, alignment, and test methods.
- Demonstrated attention to detail with a high level of integrity and organizational capacity to manage multiple projects.
- Self-motivated with proven ability to take ownership, initiative, and accountability while working with domestic and international cross-functional teams.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, both oral and written, with demonstrated capability to influence across organizations.
- Must possess strong quantitative analysis and critical thinking skills.
- Subject matter expert in design for manufacturability and assembly (DFMA), design experimentation and optimization (DOE), tolerance sensitivity analysis (GD&T), root cause and defect/failure analysis, FMEA, process capability assessment (CPK/MSA/GRR), statistical data analysis focused on process capability in software tools such as JMP and MATLAB
- Advanced optomechanical system integration, knowledge, and integration
- Minimum Design for Six Sigma Greenbelt or Equivalent
- This position requires frequent travel, approximately 25-35% of working time.
- Target location in Boulder, CO
- Optomechanical and systems engineering
- Leading and managing engineering and delivery teams, with direct and indirect reporting. Responsibility includes resource allocation across all projects at all project stages.
- Working knowledge of FEA, reliability testing, experience with fabrication and assembly processes including joining methods, sealing methods, mechanical assembly methods, and assembly testing.
- Master’s in Mechanical, Optical Engineering or closely related experience
- All your information will be kept confidential according to Equal Employment Opportunities guidelines.
Please mention that you found the job on ARVR OK. Thanks.