Posted Aug 4
Magic Leap is hiring a
Principal, Opto-Mechanical Engineering, Augmented Reality Devices
This is a hands on technical Manager role leading a small team of opto-mechanical engineers to deliver novel designs for compact imaging and display systems as well as unique optical metrology and alignment solutions. You will direct and coordinate activities involved in design, fabrication, testing, and production. You will work cross functionally with discipline-specific development teams to identify technical requirements, scope, features, schedules, budgets and risks. Ideal candidate is a strong collaborator; able to reach across organizations to clarify expectations and achieve 'buy-in' where appropriate. Ideal candidate has a strong technical background and experience leading a small technical team who is interested in splitting their time 50% on technical work and 50% on people management.
This role is based in Boulder, CO.
- Provide leadership to the opto-mechanical team (team of 5-6) as well as be able to serve as an individual contributor in a hands-on and versatile role.
- Support the design and development of next generation product hardware, metrology systems, and prototype assembly equipment and fixturing. Design components using Creo CAD software, generate prints, and interface with fabrication vendors for procurement of components.
- Provide Hands on support for prototype assembly, test and metrology, and other activities required to meet the team and Company goals.
- Drive development in sync with high-level product goals (eg. build schedule, budget, cycle time, performance, etc.)
- Drive collaboration between organizations to bridge communication gaps, clarify requirements, identify risks, sync dependencies, and support transparent exchange of data.
- Willingness to travel to other Magic Leap locations as required for workshops
- Exhibit confidence in a highly dynamic and creative environment, identify short and long-term solutions, continued system improvements and cost reductions, confidently schedule work, and close issues in a timely manner.
- Independently pursue new skills/knowledge as needed to complete projects and drive the team to do the same
- Manage multiple concurrent engineering projects, including scheduling, budgeting, and resource allocation.
- Exercise compassionate leadership, communicate clear performance expectations, and coach the team towards independence.
- Identify and communicate strengths and development areas in others, ensure activities are prioritized and provide appropriate exposure to members of the team.
- Champion our diverse and inclusive values.
- 10-15+ years relevant experience in developing compact imaging system product solutions
- Strong knowledge of optical and mechanical test and metrology systems preferred
- Knowledge of CAD software (CREO Windchill preferred), FMEA, and tolerance analysis
- Exceptional presentation, organization, and logistical skills.
- Understanding of basic geometric optics and optical polarization concepts
- Understanding of hardware development processes and procedures as well as knowledge of the product development life cycle.
- Knowledge of fabrication methods used in compact imaging systems including injection mold tooling, and direct machining methods for prototyping
- Experience designing, developing, and launching consumer electronics products with electrical, optical, and mechanical components.
- Experience with JIRA and driving teams with an agile mindset is a plus.
- Successful track record of team building and leadership skills.
- Strong technical understanding at a system level, where opto-mechanical, electrical and mechanical parts have strong interdependence
- Strong task planning and project coordination skills.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced product development environment.
- Experience in developing virtual reality (VR) or augmented reality (AR) platforms and products for either enterprise or consumer markets is a plus.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering, Optical Engineering, or similar with a preference for a Master's degree or above.
- All your information will be kept confidential according to Equal Employment Opportunities guidelines.
Our salary ranges are determined by role, level and location. In addition to salary, Magic Leap offers a discretionary bonus, equity, and a fully comprehensive benefits package for eligible employees.
US Base Salary Range
Please mention that you found the job on ARVR OK. Thanks.