Roblox is hiring a
Principal Product Designer, Infrastructure
Every day, tens of millions of people come to Roblox to explore, create, play, learn, and connect with friends in 3D immersive digital experiences– all created by our global community of developers and creators.
At Roblox, we’re building the tools and platform that empower our community to bring any experience that they can imagine to life. Our vision is to reimagine the way people come together, from anywhere in the world, and on any device. We’re on a mission to connect a billion people with optimism and civility, and looking for amazing talent to help us get there.
A career at Roblox means you’ll be working to shape the future of human interaction, solving unique technical challenges at scale, and helping to create safer, more civil shared experiences for everyone.
As a Principal Product Designer on Infrastructure, you'll be focused on designing tools that every Roblox engineer uses every day to build Roblox itself. You will be responsible for our end-to-end developer experience including source control, testing, deployment, container scheduling, and observability. Our customers are internal - so you'll have unobstructed access to our entire user base. You are comfortable working with highly technical customers (software engineers) and familiar with cloud platforms.
Our company goal is to reach 1 Billion users with optimism and civility, and you can't reach 1B users without building some scalable systems. But how do we build those systems in a way that allows 1,000 Roblox engineers (and growing) to be productive? What does the ideal development platform UX look like for a hyper-scaling company that is building a pretty wide variety of systems using a pretty wide variety of technologies? And as we build this out, how does it converge with the developer platform we are offering to the external creators who are building the games and experiences that run on Roblox?
Reporting to a Sr. Product Design Manager, this is a high impact role where you'll have sole ownership over infrastructure design, with the potential opportunity to move into design leadership, hire, and grow the infrastructure design team.
- Begin to establish product design as a new discipline within infrastructure, define the foundational system architecture and UX strategy for infra tools, and implement quickly
- Empathize with PMs and engineers (your users) to deeply understand their challenges, constraints, and needs
- Define a complete user-facing system, information architecture, and vision for our infrastructure tools from the ground up; craft cohesive product narratives to communicate that vision
- Define how infrastructure product design works – guide team collaboration, culture, and rituals throughout the design and development process
- Lead the strategy, IA, design, and execution of the work itself – UXR, journey maps, system maps, service design blueprints, wireframes, prototypes, and design specs that are highly complex
- Establish scalable UX and IA deliverables, systems, frameworks, patterns, guidelines, templates, and resources for infrastructure, such as a design system strategy, information architecture, reusable components and reference guides to ensure consistency and quality across a suite of tools
- Partner and collaborate with other Roblox product design teams building internal and creator-facing tools (Trust & Safety, Creator/Studio)
- Ensure these new infrastructure applications and features are useful, understandable, efficient, accurate, and easy to use, drastically increasing our quality bar for craft and execution
- Become a trusted partner by communicating and demonstrating the value of systems thinking through product design
- Influence roadmaps, manage your own priorities, facilitate design projects, and guide agreement and consensus to serve the infrastructure team's needs
- Demonstrate success as defined by a team sentiment, the cohesiveness of the user experience, impact, consistency, ease of use, and beauty of the final product
- 7+ years' experience in product design, information architecture, UX, or a related field
- Familiarity with enterprise and/or data products, CI/CD tooling, and software tooling (e.g. AWS, Azure and GCP), container runtimes (e.g. Kubernetes and Docker), and Observability (e.g. metrics, logs, alarms, deployment, cost, security, performance management)
- Experience architecting a suite of applications from 0 to 1
- Experience introducing product design to PMs and engineers, earning trust, evangelizing design, educating your partners on the UX process, and bringing them along
- Excellent visual, interaction and/or service design skills
- Your own design portfolio of products that showcases systems thinking, functionality, clarity despite complexity, usability, and flow across the overall user experience
- Initiative, self-sufficiency, and the desire to co-lead multiple projects and initiatives in a fast-paced environment, while adapting when strategy and requirements evolve
- Industry-leading compensation package
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- A rewarding 401k program
- Flexible vacation policy
- Roflex - Flexible and supportive work policy
- Roblox Admin badge for your avatar
- At Roblox HQ:
- Free catered lunches five times a week and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks
- Onsite fitness center and fitness program credit
- Annual CalTrain Go Pass
Roblox provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Please mention that you found the job on ARVR OK. Thanks.