Roblox is hiring a
Principal Software Engineer - Moderation Services
Every day, tens of millions of people come to Roblox to explore, create, play, learn, and connect with friends in 3D immersive digital experiences– all created by our global community of developers and creators.
At Roblox, we’re building the tools and platform that empower our community to bring any experience that they can imagine to life. Our vision is to reimagine the way people come together, from anywhere in the world, and on any device. We’re on a mission to connect a billion people with optimism and civility, and looking for amazing talent to help us get there.
A career at Roblox means you’ll be working to shape the future of human interaction, solving unique technical challenges at scale, and helping to create safer, more civil shared experiences for everyone.
At Roblox, we strive to connect a billion people with optimism and civility, and the Safety organization’s mission is to become the leader in civil immersive online communities. We systematically detect, remove, and prevent problematic content and behavior, and we make Roblox accounts secure and free from compromise. We cover a broad area of the tech spectrum, including machine learning, classifiers for 3D models, experimentation, automation, detection workflows, and AI-powered text filters. Aligned and partnering with product teams, we use this toolbelt to discover new opportunities, influence and shape the product roadmap and prioritization, build safety products, and measure the impact on our community of users and developers. In doing so, we keep Roblox safe, civil, and inclusive, and we foster positive relationships between people around the world.
WHY MODERATION SERVICES?
As a Principal Software Engineer on the Moderation Services Team, you will architect, implement, and grow the systems that enable the moderation of all content and interactions on Roblox. You will guide the team in 10x-ing our scale, increasing our platform capabilities, and reducing the time it takes any creator or team at Roblox to safeguard their feature or experience by several orders of magnitude (months to hours). Your work will be fundamental in keeping the experiences of over 300 million monthly active users at Roblox safe, civil, and delightful. In this role, you will report to the Engineering Manager of the Moderation Services team.
- Build large distributed services and tools used by other teams to detect and address problematic content on Roblox. These systems will involve high availability, security (authentication and access control), data integrity, and both automated and human workflows
- Build the services and tools responsible for improving accuracy and efficiency of finding inappropriate content
- Define the platform features used by teams across the company which will keep our community safe
- Resolve a variety of performance issues (networking, data, compute)
- Establish next-generation standards on the backend web and service stack
- 8+ years of experience building large-scale backend services and shipping high-quality products to production
- 4+ years of experience leading an engineering team and driving the execution of multiple impactful projects
- 8+ years of experience building REST or GraphQL-based APIs with compiled languages such as Go, Python, C#, or Java
- Proficiency in working with DynamoDB, Cassandra, CockroachDB, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Microsoft SQL Server or other database technology at scale
- Experience building data pipelines with Kafka, Hive, Presto, Spark, or other data warehousing technologies
- Experience building caching solutions using Memcached, Redis, or similar technologies
- Familiar with common web application security issues
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Applied Math, Physics, Engineering, or another technical field
- A Technical Leader: You have initiated and facilitated challenging technical solutions. Your technical expertise influences product direction
- Versatile: You are proficient in several programming languages and technologies. You take a creative and strategic approach to solving hard problems
- Analytical: Excited to investigate large, ambiguous problems, and quantify the problems and the solutions
- Team-oriented: You lift up your peers and find ways to make the team stronger
- Industry-leading compensation package
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- A rewarding 401k program
- Flexible vacation policy
- Roflex - Flexible and supportive work policy
- Roblox Admin badge for your avatar
- At Roblox HQ:
- Free catered lunches five times a week and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks
- Onsite fitness center and fitness program credit
- Annual CalTrain Go Pass
Roblox provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Please mention that you found the job on ARVR OK. Thanks.