Posted Aug 30
Street Smarts VR is hiring a
R&D Hardware Engineer
Street Smarts VR is a veteran-owned, dual-use technology platform that's revolutionizing tactical training through virtual reality and improving public safety outcomes. By integrating software, hardware, and training data, SSVR's solution is transforming the VR training landscape.
Across four continents, 10,000 users across dozens of US military and police departments currently train with SSVR - and that's a tiny fraction of the 5 million first responders in the US who carry weapons and for whom training is not just a requirement but a moral imperative. SSVR is forecasting rapid growth over the coming years in both state and local law enforcement as well as all 4 branches of the US Military.
At Street Smarts VR, we understand that military and first responders consistently operate in high stress, high consequence environments. We’ve lived it. So by leveraging virtual reality and real-world data sources, we’ve built a fully immersive platform that conditions users to the real life stressors they will face in the field.
As a R&D Hardware Engineer, you will be at the forefront of creating next-generation hardware and technology for virtual reality training. You will be responsible for research and development of new hardware systems and technologies that enable new products and features for our customers. This role requires a high level of collaboration with Product, Design, and Customer teams to execute our technology roadmap and identify new opportunities. This is a research and development position and we are looking for talented individuals with experience solving complex engineering problems using the latest technologies and tools. We will be hiring multiple people for this role. If you only partially fit this posting, still apply and you will be considered for future positions.
This role will report to our Hardware Engineering Manager.
What you can expect to work on:
- Conduct research and development on new and existing VR hardware systems
- Invent technology solutions to enable new feature and product development
- Hands-on design and development of electronic prototypes and testing devices
- Collaborate with Product, Design, and Customer teams to execute technology development roadmap
- Solve core problems by leveraging commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) solutions, outsourcing, and other means to expedite testing and implementation of new ideas
- Work closely with hardware, firmware, and software teams to design, prototype, and produce product solutions.
- Read and analyze multiple types of sensor data
- Develop embedded systems that integrate various sensors (analog and digital interfaces) and transmit data wirelessly
- Research and perform trade studies of various wireless data communications
What we can expect from you:
- Educational background in Engineering, Mathematics, Computer Science, Physics, or other related field
- At least 3 years of experience in electronics and electrical engineering
- Proven experience in schematic design, PCB design, and embedded firmware
- Experience in analog and digital circuit design Altium Designer
- Experience working with external suppliers to fulfill orders
- Familiarity with wireless technologies, wearables, sensors, and batteries
- Knowledge of compliance standards (FCC, UL, etc.)
- Strong mathematical, logical, and problem-solving skills
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Experience with advanced sensor data fusion algorithms
- Experience with pose estimation, SLAM, probabilistic filtering, and 3D data
- Experience with high-speed data transmission, filtering and processing
- Prior research and development experience in a electronics lab or similar environment
- Understanding and experience with systems engineering
- Experience with VR/AR or related technologies
What we offer:
- Opportunity to help improve training for first responders and the communities they serve
- High growth opportunity within a startup culture
- Competitive salary & bonus
- Multiple healthcare plans to choose from
- Company-matched 401k program
- Opportunity to travel
- Remote or hybrid work environment, depending on proximity to an office
$125,000 - $140,000 a year
Street Smarts VR is open to interviewing candidates of varying levels of experience for this position. Salary range based on years of professional experience, relevancy of experience, technical proficiency, and local labor market.
Applicants must be authorized to work for any employer in the U.S. We are unable to sponsor or take over sponsorship of an employment visa at this time.
U.S. Equal Opportunity Employer
Street Smarts VR is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
Apply for this job
Please mention that you found the job on ARVR OK. Thanks.