Magic Leap is hiring a
Research Engineer Intern, Computer Vision - Localization
Our company vision is to amplify human potential. Our mission is to deliver enterprise a powerful tool for transformation—an augmented reality platform of great utility and simplicity. Achieving our goals requires passion and dedication. That’s why we’re committed to building and empowering a diverse team of incredibly talented people and fostering an inclusive culture through our values of unity, innovation, and user centricity.
The foundation of every immersive and persistent augmented reality experience is a 3D map of the environment that the AR content can be anchored to and the user can localize into to see this content at the desired localization in 3D space. Many current high-quality AR solutions, among them Magic Leap’s ML2, require users to create such a map themselves using the AR device of their choice, before being able to place and see virtual content in the desired environment. However, in outdoor environments, high-quality, curated map data is nowadays openly available by providers such as Google Street View or OpenStreetMap, covering most regions of the world already in great detail.
The goal of this 6 month internship is to explore ways to leverage this existing map information, specifically to allow an ML2 device to localize into it, this way enabling out-of-the-box outdoor AR experiences without the need to map the environment first.
- Investigate data and APIs exposed by map providers, and relevant methods from the recent research literature
- Define potential approaches to enable localization of an ML2 headset into existing outdoor maps
- Implement one or more approaches and drive it / them to a proof of concept (PoC) that can be practically demonstrated
- Create a demo app for an outdoor AR experience with the implemented PoC
- You are finalizing your Master studies or are a PhD student with a background in Computer Vision and Machine Learning
- Solid knowledge of 3D geometry, SLAM and Localization
- You have done several projects in C++, Python, and PyTorch
- You have a broad interest in the field of Computer Science and Software Engineering, and enjoy hands-on work on both algorithms as well as integrating them into an end-to-end solution
- Experience in Unity development is a plus
What we offer
- Work in one of the world's most advanced AR companies
- Cooperate with researchers from different parts of the world to explore trending research topics in the field of CV/ML
- Hands-on work and practical experience with one of the most advanced AR devices available in the market
- Explore approaches and technologies with the potential to enable new use cases for Magic Leap’s immersive AR experiences
Please mention that you found the job on ARVR OK. Thanks.