Samsung Research America is hiring a
Senior Computational Designer, Parametric Modeling & Design
Company: Samsung Research America (SRA)
Title: Senior Computational Designer, Parametric Modeling & Design
Location: San Francisco, CA
Lab: Samsung Design & Innovation Center
Samsung Design Innovation Center, located in San Francisco, is opening a Computational Design Lab, reinventing the way we design products and manufacturing with computational design, AI an ML. In this new dynamic lab, we will solve inspirational and complex design problems to spark creativity, to optimize design concepts, and to design innovative products for the present and the future. The lab will engage with various internal teams across the world to create globally-impacting designs by collecting data, developing models, and applying computations.
We are looking for talented designers and creative technologists to join our group and bring new energy to our process. You should be ready to help at all stages of product design, from identifying unmet and latent needs, discovering new design opportunities, designing new product concepts to applying technology creatively to solve real user problems and create radically new experiences that re-imagine the way we interact with products.
Samsung Design Innovation Center is one of the leading overseas design studio in Samsung. Our mission is to understand people and lifestyles to deliver meaningful experiences, through beautiful yet functional design, enabled by innovative cutting-edge technologies.
The studio is working on various advanced product experiences which can shape the future of Samsung Businesses, working with various different internal teams through experience driven approach. Our work appears on smartphones, tablets, computers, televisions, wearables, and other devices we can’t describe yet. See some of our work at http://design.samsung.com/global/contents/sdic/
The Computational Designer should understand product design process and be able to apply computational design to find optimal design solutions for any given design requirements. As a Computational Designer, you will work with diverse talents to develop generative design models and algorithms to develop and validate designs by employing emergent design and simulation techniques. The goal is to derive human-centered distinctive solutions.
- Master’s Degree in a related field or equivalent practical experience and training
- Doctoral degree in a related field is a plus
- 4+ years of experience in Architecture or Automotive or Industrial Design Engineering Sector (or relevant equivalent)
- Soft body simulations are a plus
- Generative & topological design experience
- Deep understanding of product development, materials, and manufacturing processes
- Experience working with human-body-focused context
- Deep design engineering process knowledge
- Hands-on approach, flexible & agile, and comfortable experimenting with a fresh, original perspective
- Time management skills, attention to detail, and ability to think and act strategically and proactively
- Strong visual story-telling and communication skills
- Self-driven, willing to act on launching novel projects ideas and developing concepts from scratch
- Travel Internationally and Domestic and work overtime when needed
- Develop parametric models based on requirements such as design language
- Design and develop algorithms and scripts to develop and explore novel design spaces
- Employ 3D body scans and create a meaningful database
- Collect, parse, interpret and incorporate data into each specific design process
- Design, run and incorporate computational simulations (FEM + other)
- Develop data-driven testing and feedback cycles
- Reverse engineer products, if needed
We will consider qualified applicants for employment with arrest and conviction records.
Essential Job Functions
This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, and frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers.
Samsung Research America is committed to complying with all Federal, State and local laws related to the employment of qualified individuals with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation as part of the employment selection process, please contact the recruiter or email email@example.com.
Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity
Samsung Research America is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
For more information regarding protection from discrimination under Federal law for applicants and employees, please refer to the links below.
Know Your Rights | Pay Transparency
Please mention that you found the job on ARVR OK. Thanks.