Niantic is hiring a
Senior Game Designer, Pokémon GO
The Pokémon GO team is seeking a senior game designer to help build compelling gameplay experiences that delight and engage our players. We desire a motivated individual that is passionate about outdoor game play! You will be solving sophisticated challenges to craft new game mechanics/systems from conceptualization to fully shipped features. You will make informed decisions that use player experiences, feedback, and data. You will implement, test, and balance game rule changes during build reviews, feature launches, and economy adjustments. You will thoughtfully introduce features that ensure Trainers continue to have fun and explore the real world!
- Communicate clearly to gain alignment within Pokémon Go’s internal and external partners to build design specifications towards a feature launch.
- Advocate for “player first” designs and collaborate frequently with IP holders to ensure brand integrity.
- Use data and player research to deliver concise documentation that includes cross functional support (wireframe, flows, supporting sheets).
- Build flexible, modular designs that will support a multitude of gameplay features.
- Work with leads and managers to identify new pitches and improvements
- Build and test new and existing features to ensure they meet design requirements and company OKRs.
- Work with designers to ensure high quality of design that meets business objectives of the feature.
- Introduce new and innovative technologies that improve our service delivery/experience and drive customer happiness to promote Niantic’s brand.
- Keep up with industry trends and propose ways we can demonstrate Niantic’s emerging technology.
- Develop and detail Niantic's global design standards to ensure all of our offices are consistent and reflect the mission and character of Niantic. Challenge each project team to deliver a workplace design that is functional, inspiring, and operationally efficient.
- Required in-office 2 days on Wednesday and Thursday.
- 5+ confirmed experience designing for live operation games, especially mobile games.
- 2+ years of experience mentoring designers.
- Extensive game development experience, and has shipped new game features successfully.
- Experience working with original and brand IPs.
- Excellent skills in verbal and written communication across all game teams.
- Expertise with spreadsheets, data, and feature documentation for a live game.
- Experience with game balance, pacing, and monetizing virtual goods in a FTP model.
- Ability to deliver specs from concept to launch.
- Ability to adapt on a fast-paced team to drive and deliver results.
- Familiarity with Pokémon GO and the general Pokémon franchise.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced hybrid environment and handle stress appropriately and/or ability to solve practical problems and be sufficiently adaptable to handle dynamic situations with little advance notice.
- Experience working on cross-functional teams with ability to communicate effectively through written and verbal communications, including synchronous interactions with others.
- Bilingual in both English and Japanese.
- Knowledge in JIRA and Unity.
- Leadership training certifications.
- Experience with AR games or features.
- Experience building tools.
The total compensation package for this position includes a new hire offer base salary range of $135,000 - $166,000 + bonus + equity + benefits.
Individual pay within this salary range is determined by work location and additional factors, including assessed job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can answer any questions about new hire total compensation during the hiring process. An overview of benefit offerings for your location can be found on the careers page.
Join the Niantic team!
Niantic is the world’s leading AR technology company, sparking creative and engaging journeys in the real world. Our products inspire outdoor exploration, exercise, and meaningful social interaction.
Originally formed at Google in 2011, we became an independent company in 2015. Some of our current consumer titles include pioneering global-control game Ingress, record-breaking AR game Pokémon GO, and Pikmin Bloom. In November 2021, we launched our developer platform, Lightship, enabling creators to build immersive AR experiences around the globe. Our basketball universe has come to life, as we recently launched one of the most innovative sports games ever, in partnership with the NBA. NBA ALL-World is now live and playable globally! Niantic is an Equal Opportunity employer.
We believe that cultivating a workplace where our people are supported and included is essential to creating great products our community will love. Our mission emphasizes seeking and hiring diverse voices, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in the technology industry, and we consider this to be one of the most important values we hold close.
Niantic is a hybrid first company. We believe that in person interaction and collaboration fosters creativity, a sense of community, and is critical to our future success as a company. Our hybrid work schedules allow for a mix of remote and in-office work.
We're a hard-working, fun, and exciting group who value intellectual curiosity and a passion for problem-solving! We have growing offices located in San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Palo Alto, Bellevue, Kansas, New York, London, Tokyo, Hamburg, Hyderabad, and Zurich. #LI-HYBRID
Please mention that you found the job on ARVR OK. Thanks.