Posted Aug 3
VRChat is hiring a
Senior UI Designer, Mobile
Join the VRChat Team!
VRChat offers a first-of-its kind, game-changing platform that provides an endless collection of social VR experiences and gives the power of creation to its robust community. With over 250,000 worlds and growing, VRChat’s vision is to allow users to bring their imaginations to life and help shape the metaverse anywhere in the world on any device.
As a Senior UI Designer, you’ll be working collaboratively with the rest of the VRChat Team to help improve, shape, and construct major UI-related features for mobile platforms. As part of that process, you’ll be creating and maintaining design materials while ensuring they are communicated effectively to those requiring them. You’ll be guiding the design of features from concept to release then iterating on them as the team and community provide feedback. You should be able to lead major design efforts and align them with the company strategy. You’ll also be working with the Insights Team on adding and monitoring analytics for various deployed systems. Developing for a massive live community allows designers to quickly gauge whether or not a feature is performing as intended or needs immediate iteration. You’ll be working with the QA and Community Teams to address this input and decide what to act on as a priority. You should be able to navigate this live platform environment with a solid understanding of what design choices mean for the community and team. You should also be able to manage sometimes blunt feedback from the community with flexibility and grace. You will report to the Chief Creative Officer and work with other designers across VRChat’s various teams.
Job & Team Impact
VRChat's mobile application will introduce a completely new way for users to interact with all the worlds, avatars, and social experiences that VRChat has to offer. Your work will take the core VRChat UI and transform it into a delightful experience for phones and tablets.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Responsible for working collaboratively with the team to design, release and iterate on major UI related features of VRChat for mobile platforms such as phones and tablets
- Keeping the team informed of the design of features as they evolve, release, and are iterated on
- Staying up to date with community feedback on VRChat especially features that are design related or owned by the Senior Designer
- Help build and iterate on prototypes with others where necessary
- Work to comprehensively understand how existing systems connect to and interoperate with upcoming features
- Engage with VRChat’s related connected platforms like Discord, Twitch, Youtube, etc. to understand the environment well enough to be effective in the role
- Share knowledge and experience to help level up more junior members of the design team
Experience, Skills & Qualifications:
- 5+ years of experience as a mobile UI designer in the game industry or related
- Experience working on VR projects is very advantageous
- Familiarity with Unity UI systems
- Ability to stay focused and productive in a permanent WFH environment (or something similar)
- Portfolio of work on games or equivalent products that demonstrate experience and excellent design skills
- Broad knowledge of common design concepts for User Experience, Interaction Design, Information Architecture, Design Systems and Game Mechanics
- Comprehensive understanding of a “design process” from concept to release
- Strong work ethic and communication skills - you are a self-starter
- Must excel in the construction of design documents, diagrams, and other materials
- Must be able to communicate design concepts effectively to the team
- The ability to work with ambiguous ideas and turn them into practical design concepts
- VRChat is exploring the boundaries of what’s possible with Social VR. There’s quite a bit of exploration of ideas and responding to ever-changing hardware, software, and community environments. The Senior Designer must be ok working in this evolving and shifting environment where some concepts and features change, pause, or are even canceled
- You enjoy working on side projects that are design-related
- You spend time in VRChat or other Social VR platforms and understand the core concepts
- You have built content in VRChat or other platforms
- You have a good understanding of game engines and their usage, especially Unity
- You have a degree in game design, human interaction, or similar
- You have experience working on mobile 1st & 3rd person and/or social games
- Work from anywhere! VRChat is a 100% remote company
- Health Benefits
- 401K for US & RRSP for Canadian Employees
- Stock Options
- Generous paid holiday schedule
- Unlimited/Flexible vacation time
- Paid parental leave benefits
VRChat is an equal-opportunity employer, and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. VRChat fosters a diverse, creative, and collaborative environment where anyone can contribute to any of the ongoing projects or direction of the roadmap at any time. If you’re a passionate team player who wants to have an impact on a dynamic team, we’d love to hear from you!
Offers are subject to satisfactory background and reference checks.
Apply for this job
Please mention that you found the job on ARVR OK. Thanks.