Roblox is hiring a
Technical Lead Data Scientist, Creator
Every day, tens of millions of people come to Roblox to explore, create, play, learn, and connect with friends in 3D immersive digital experiences– all created by our global community of developers and creators.
At Roblox, we’re building the tools and platform that empower our community to bring any experience that they can imagine to life. Our vision is to reimagine the way people come together, from anywhere in the world, and on any device. We’re on a mission to connect a billion people with optimism and civility, and looking for amazing talent to help us get there.
A career at Roblox means you’ll be working to shape the future of human interaction, solving unique technical challenges at scale, and helping to create safer, more civil shared experiences for everyone.
WHY DATA SCIENCE & ANALYTICS?
The Data Science & Analytics organization's mission is to increase our speed, frequency and knowledge of making decisions at scale by instilling a data-influenced approach to building products. We cover a wide area of the data spectrum including analytical data engineering, product analytics, experimentation, causal inference, statistical modeling and machine learning. Aligned and partnering with product verticals, we use this extensive toolbelt to discover new opportunities and unmet use cases, influence and shape the product roadmap and prioritization, build data products and measure impact on our community of players and creators.
The Creator team mission is to help anyone to create anything, from anywhere. As a data scientist, you will be an important partner to our product and engineering teams in building a healthy Creator ecosystem, defining strategies that accelerate the growth of our creators, and identifying gaps in our content corpus (and how to fill them). You'll partner with data scientists, product managers, engineers and leaders across the company to better understand our creators and the tools that best support their success.
- Passionate about data. You have the curiosity to continuously learn new techniques and tools to extract value from data.
- An excellent speaker. You understand that analysis must be presented in meaningful ways and participate in spirited discussions about the findings. You can explain technical concepts to executives and non-technical audiences and discuss appropriate tradeoffs.
- A leader that is invested in the success of others and has impact through mentorship and engagement with the community.
- A capable statistician. You understand the value of characterizing data by its distribution. Covariance, Bias, and Conditional Probability are concepts that you rely on every day.
- An expert transforming data with SQL and a scripting language such as Python or R. You're experienced in automating efforts and crunching massive volumes of data using big data frameworks such as Spark, Hadoop or Flink.
- Experienced in experimentation and developing models to draw insights from data. You use experimentation, causal inference, regression techniques, data mining, and statistical techniques to create scalable solutions to solve difficult business problems. You understand when to apply the appropriate methodology to maximize impact.
- Be a strategic partner that uses data and insights to improve growth.
- Provide technical mentorship and expertise that multiplies the contributions of data scientists across the team.
- Accelerate product development through your understanding of the data and its potential.
- Access raw data, and then transform it, analyze it, and render it in a compelling way to guide product development.
- Define metrics to evaluate success and build dashboards to track progress.
- Evaluate A/B experiments to determine success of product feature launches.
- Influence how Roblox works with its players and its platform creators to accelerate creator velocity.
- Report to the Director, Data Scientist and Analytics.
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Applied Math, Physics, Engineering, Statistics, Economics, Financial Mathematics or other technical field
- 10+ years of industry experience in Data Science and Analytics
- 8+ years of prior industry experience in Product Analytics
- 8+ years experience in scripting languages for DS like Python or R
- 4+ years of experience using big data query/processing languages and tools such as Hive, Spark and Airflow
- 4+ years mentoring and/or managing data scientists
- Experience promoting best practices and excellence across an analytics team
- Experience developing a vision, roadmap, datasets, and tooling in a nascent area
- Knowledge of statistics fundamentals to support experimental design and analysis
- Experience with exploratory data analysis, data analysis to inform product design decisions, statistical analysis and testing, and machine learning model development
- Industry-leading compensation package
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- A rewarding 401k program
- Flexible vacation policy
- Roflex - Flexible and supportive work policy
- Roblox Admin badge for your avatar
- At Roblox HQ:
- Free catered lunches five times a week and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks
- Onsite fitness center and fitness program credit
- Annual CalTrain Go Pass
Roblox provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Please mention that you found the job on ARVR OK. Thanks.